acidity remedies, acidity home remedies, How To Get Rid of Acidity
1. Basil Leaves: The soothing and carminative properties of basil leaves can give you instant relief from acidity. At the first sign of gas, eat a few basil leaves or boil 3-4 basil leaves in a cup of water and let it simmer for a few minutes. Sip on it frequently. This is one of the best home remedies for acidity.
2. Fennel: You can also “chew sauf after meals, to prevent stomach acidity”. “For its multitude of gastrointestinal benefits, fennel tea is sure to help the digestive tract be healthy and happy. The tea is considered very useful to help indigestion and bloating because of the oils found in these seeds”.
3. Cinnamon: This humble spice works as a natural antacid for stomach acidity and can settle your stomach, by improving digestion and absorption. For relief, drink cinnamon tea to heal infections in the gastrointestinal tract. Cinnamon is a powerhouse of nutrients and loaded with health benefiting properties.
4. Buttermilk: Did you know that buttermilk is categorised as a sattvic food in Ayurveda? So, the next time you get acidity after eating a heavy or spicy meal, skip the antacid and drink a glass of chaas instead. Buttermilk contains lactic acid that normalizes acidity in the stomach. Sprinkle a dash of black pepper or 1 teaspoon of ground coriander leaves for best results.
5. Jaggery: Ever wondered why our elders finish a meal with gur? “Due to its high magnesium content, jaggery helps boost intestinal strength”. It aids digestion and makes your digestive system more alkaline in nature, thus reducing stomach acidity. Suck on a small piece of gur after a meal, and reap the benefits. Since jaggery also helps maintain normal body temperature, cooling the stomach – experts recommend drinking Gur Sharbat (jaggery soaked in ice cold water) during the summer.
6. Cloves: Over the years, cloves have grabbed a prominent place in traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurveda to treat digestive disorders. Cloves are carminative in nature, thus preventing the formation of gas in the gastrointestinal tract. Add cloves while cooking foods like kidney beans or black gram that tend to cause flatulence. You can even eat crushed cloves and cardamom (mixed in equal amounts) to treat acidity, and get rid of bad breath (which often accompanies this problem).
7. Cumin Seeds: Cumin seeds work as a great acid neutralizer, aid digestion and relieve stomach pain. Slightly crush some roasted cumin seeds, stir it into a glass of water or steep one teaspoon of cumin seeds in a cup of boiled water and drink it after every meal.
8. Ginger: Beneath its knobbly exterior, ginger hides many health benefits. “Ginger has excellent digestive and anti-inflammatory properties”. To help neutralize stomach acids, you can chew a slice of fresh ginger, or have a spoonful of ginger juice two-three times a day, or steep fresh ginger in a cup of boiling water and drink up.
9. Cold Milk: For those who are not lactose intolerant, milk can help stabilize gastric acids in the stomach. It is rich in calcium, which prevents the buildup of acid in the stomach. “All you need to do is drink a glass of cold milk the next time you suffer from acidity”.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar: Very often, your acid reflux is in fact the result of too little stomach acid. That’s where apple cider vinegar steps in. Simply mix 1-2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and drink it once or twice a day. You can also take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and chase it with a glass of water.
acidity home remedies
11. Aloe Vera juice: Aloe Vera, known for its medicinal properties, is usually used to get relief from skin infections and burns. The pulp from the plant can also help keep your gut clean and free from toxins. Aloe Vera contains strong anti-inflammatory properties and is loaded with powerful vitamins and amino acids, which cut back on the acidity levels and cools down the body. Hence, it is used as one of the options to provide quick relief.
How to have: Extract the pulp from the aloe vera leaves and mix it with water. Have it 2-3 times a day for relief.
12. Powerful spice remedy: While spices may trigger your heartburn, however, certain kitchen spices may help you get relief from acidity. Traditionally too, essential flavouring agents like cumin seeds (jeera), cardamom, cinnamon, and ginger powder have been relied upon for their strong anti-inflammatory properties. Cumin seeds, in particular, have powerful properties which can help you get rid of bloating issues.
How to have: In a saucepan, boil some water (1 glass). Add spices like cumin seeds, cardamom, ginger powder, and clove to it. Let the concoction simmer down and once done, cool it. Your drink is ready. You can also add jaggery to enhance the flavour.
13. You can also consume juice extracted from a fresh pineapple in times of need. Pineapple contains vitamins and minerals and bromelain, which is an enzyme that helps control the levels of hydrochloric acid in your stomach, preventing acid reflux.
14. Basil leaves: Basil has a soothing and carminative property, which can help to prevent acid reflux. Just boil a few basil leaves in a glass of water for 5 minutes. Let it cool down and then strain the leaves and drink the concoction.
15. Fennel seeds: The aromatic fennel seeds can also help to provide relief from acid reflux. You can have fennel seeds two ways either chew some seeds or boil them water and drink the concoction.
16. Baking soda: Baking soda has numerous properties and one of them is providing relief from acid reflux. Add 1/4th teaspoon of baking soda in half a glass of water and mix the liquid nicely. Drink the concoction and get relief from stomach issues for a while.